September 27, 2011

Less-Than Angelic Move by Scioscia Sets Up Rangers Nicely

Remember in 2009 when Ozzie Guillen held back Jake Peavy so the righthander could face the Tigers in the final weekend? I was livid … because Guillen was making the Tigers’ road to a division title that much harder. But, as much as it pains me to admit this, I respected him for putting his best lineup out there even if the games didn’t matter for the White Sox.

Different story today.

With word out of Anaheim that Mike Scioscia has pulled Jered Weaver and Ervin Santana from their starts against the Rangers tonight, I’m furious at the Angels manager, someone I’ve always respected and whose teams I enjoy watching. Yes, his team’s been eliminated but by pitching rookies Tyler Chatwood tonight and Garrett Richards tomorrow Scioscia’s looking ahead to next year — while the Tigers and Rangers have their eyes on Friday.

We’re led to believe that the Angels pulled Weaver and Santana because they both have blown past their career highs for innings pitched. Maybe. But something’s fishy.

Of course, I’ll still pull for the Angels tonight and tomorrow, and as I’m watching I’ll daydream about what Jim Leyland might say to Scioscia the next time Bud Selig’s little “competition committee” gets together.

7 Comment(s)

1. Sean | Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

eh…..Fishy…..but whichever team & home or road….like the Tigers chances….Besides, they could have swept the O’s. Take care of business yourself I say.

2. Eric | Sep 27, 2011 | Reply

Although it does secure the pitching triple crown for Verlander. I’ll take that instead of the possibility of home field advantage.

3. Ben | Sep 28, 2011 | Reply

I think it is a matter of who faces the Yankees and who faces the rays/sox more than home field but I could be wrong.

4. DreamWeaver | Sep 28, 2011 | Reply

Its ridiculous that Scioscia would sit Weaver… He only needed 4 outs to take the ERA title from Verlander.
    Claiming there’s no reason to push your starters when theres “nothing to gain” from it is an attempt to look noble.
    The real story is- this is Scioscia’s way of taking one final stab at Detroit for the incident with Weaver earlier this summer.

Go Tigers. I hope Richards pitches a no-hitter & Hamilton pulls a hamstring.

5. Lawton | Sep 28, 2011 | Reply

I think we can beat the Yankees more easily in a 5 game series than 7 games. With Verlander and Fister, we’d be a beast in a short series, so this might actually work out for us.

6. Stafford | Sep 29, 2011 | Reply

I agree with Lawton. If I were the Yankees I would be concerned. Verlander, Fister, Scherzer in the first 3 games. This could be an even shorter series than everyone thinks.

7. Doug | Sep 29, 2011 | Reply

I’m not fan of what the Halos did, but I am curious where the outrage is over the middling pitchers the Yankees strolled to the bump this week?