65-66, 3rd Place; 10 GB
Tigers @ Twins | 8:10 p.m. ET – Target Field | On the air: FSD/AM 1270 and 97.1 FM
Tigers History Lesson
On this Date in Tigers History
- 2004 — The Tigers acquired cash considerations from the Cubs for C Mike Difelice.
- 1993 — The Tigers acquired OF Eric Davis from the Dodgers for a player to be named (RHP John DeSilva).
- 1988 — The Tigers acquired OF Fred Lynn from the Orioles for RHP Cesar Mejia, LHP Robinson Garces and catcher Chris Hoiles. And, they acquired RHP Ted Power from the Royals for LHP Mark Lee and catcher Rey Palacios.
- 1972 — The Tigers purchase the contract of 1B/outfielder Frank Howard from the Rangers.
- 1943 — Rudy York hits two home runs to bring his August home run total to 17, one less than his 1937 record for home runs in a single month, which he also set in August.
- 1937 — Rookie Rudy York sets a new record for home runs in a month, hitting his 17th and 18th to eclipse Babe Ruth’s mark set in September 1927. He knocks in seven runs against Pete Appleton, as the Tigers beat the Senators 12-3.
- 1906 — Beset by injuries, the Tigers call 46-year-old Sam Thompson out of retirement; he drives in two runs in a 5-1 win over the Browns. Thompson, who last played in the majors in 1898, appears in eight games and bats .226.