48-44, 2nd place; 3.5 GB Chicago
Tigers vs. Rangers | 7:05 p.m. ET – Comerica Park | On the air: FSD/AM 1270 and 97.1 FM
Rangers 8 – Tigers 0
Tigers History Lesson
On this Date in Tigers History
- 2008 — The Tigers beat the Royals, 19-4. It’s their third time scoring 19 or more runs this season, the first time a MLB team had done that since the 1950 Red Sox. Miguel Cabrera drives in six and Matt Joyce five.
- 1993 — In the Twins’ 7-2 win over the Tigers, Tony Phillips goes 0 for 4 with two strikeouts against two Twins pitchers — Kevin Tapani and Carl Willis. It’s his only game without a hit, walk or hit batsmen in a string of 101 games.
- 1986 — Jose Canseco launches a Walt Terrell pitch into the upper deck of the centerfield bleachers at Tiger Stadium. Canseco has now hit a home run in every American League park.
- 1945 — The Tigers’ Les Mueller throws a record 19-2/3 innings against the Philadelphia Athletics in a 24-inning, 1-1 tie.
- 1936 — Mickey Cochrane has a relapse, and Del Baker again takes charge of the Tigers. Detroit takes a pair from the visiting A’s, winning 8-0 behind Tommy Bridges, and 9-8, as Schoolboy Rowe wins in relief.
The Tigers score a pair in the eighth inning when, with the bases loaded, Mickey Owen hits into a double play. Goose Goslin scores the tying run and Gee Walker, who reaches third base on the play, scores when first baseman Chubby Dean is caught napping.