41-35, 2nd place; 1/2-game behind Minnesota
Tigers @ Twins | 1:10 p.m. ET – Target Field | On the air: FSD/AM 1270 and 97.1 FM
Twins 11 – Tigers 4
Tigers History Lesson
- Davy Jones (1880-1972)
On this Date in Tigers History
- 2004 — For the third straight game, the Tigers win thanks to a walk-off home run. Following the lead of Eric Munson and Carlos Pena in the two previous games, Dmitri Young hits a two-run shot in the 11th inning to beat the Indians, 9-7.
- 1997 — Bobby Higginson belts three home runs and drives in seven and Justin Thompson allows four hits in eight innings as the Tigers down the Mets, 14-0. It’s the most lopsided shutout in Mets history. Detroit hits more homers, six, than the Mets have hits (five), and it’s the most home runs given up by Mets’ pitchers since April 29, 1978.
- 1983 — The Tigers acquired infielder Wayne Krenchicki from the Reds for LHP Pat Underwood
- 1948 — In his first full season as a pitcher, the Indians’ Bob Lemon pitches a no-hitter, beating the Tigers 2-0 in front of 49,628 at Briggs Stadium. Lemon has only two scares: Dale Mitchell makes a miraculous catch of a George Kell drive in the fourth and Ken Keltner makes a great stop behind third base in the fifth. The Tigers’ home was the last park in the junior circuit to use lights, installing illumination only two weeks ago.
- 1934 — In a 4-3, 10-inning loss to the Browns, Tigers centerfielder Gee Walker is picked off base twice on the same frame, earning him a 10-day suspension for his ineptitude. After Hank Greenberg singles, Walker reaches base on a error, but then gets caught off base when catcher Rollie Hemsley throws to first. Greenberg attempts to draw a throw by running to third and is thrown out, with Walker taking second. Moments later, with Walker standing six feet off the bag, pitcher Jack Knott’s throw to shortstop Alan Strange nails Walker. Mickey Cochrane is so furious he
suspends Walker and fines him $20 — the sixth time this season that Walker has earned a $20 fine. His next appearance won’t come until July 16 when he pinch-hits for Cochrane.