The Non-Sequiturs: Nixing the ESPN Jinx, Poll Results and Poetry
Posted on May 11, 2010
For several reasons, I had an uneasy feeling during last night’s win over the Yankees, not the least of which was Brad Thomas getting the emergency start.
But the more I watched and considered the situation, the better I felt. After all, the Tigers only needed three to four innings out of Thomas and they could hand it over to Eddie Bonine, then the back end of the ‘pen.
Both guys were solid and showed a national TV audience why the Tigers are hanging around the upper floors of the A.L. Central: the relief corps, of course. This is a much more preferable scenario than the tension that normally accompanies a Dontrelle Willis start.
Other thoughts rattling around my brain:
- While it wasn’t ESPN Sunday Night Baseball, it was an ESPN national broadcast, and it sure was nice to see the Tigers perform capably. In case you hadn’t noticed, they’ve stunk up the airwaves during their ESPN appearances since 2008.
- Speaking of pitching, the Thomas experience has worked out twice this season, but I think we’d all agree that we’d rather see a bona fide starter. And who would Fungo readers like to see in that rotation, if given the choice? Here are the results of last week’s Fungo Pulse Check:
Who Would You Rather See Join the Tigers Rotation?
- Armando Galarraga (49%, 119 Votes)
- Eddie Bonine (23%, 56 Votes)
- Someone Else — Anyone Else! (20%, 48 Votes)
- Zach Miner (8%, 20 Votes)
- Total Voters: 243
Be sure to vote in this week’s poll –>
- I posted this on Twitter last week but it’s worth mentioning again: James Finn Garner crafted a nice poem on Ernie Harwell at Bardball.com. As usual, it’s great. Check it out here.
- With the win Monday night, the Tigers are now 508-470-6 all-time at home against the Yankees, and 20-20 all-time at Comerica Park.
That’s all I got.