October 17, 2007

Breaking News: My Tiger Stadium Seats Arrived

I haven’t been able to un-box them, but my Tiger Stadium seats arrived today. If you’ve ever wondered how much two molded plastic stadium seats weigh, I can tell you: 90 lbs. At least that’s UPS’s estimate.

I’ll upload some photos soon but in the meantime, here’s some quick info on them:

• Filthy. A good hose-down and a sponge bath should get them sparkling new. Well, you know what I mean.
  • Blue. I held out hope that orange seats would arrive but the more I thought about it, I rarely sat in the orange seats, so these will do just fine.
  • Damaged. Not much, but the rivets on the left seat have popped off, presumably in shipping. They look simple enough to repair.
  • 10 and 11. Those are the seat numbers. Man, do I wish I knew what section, row, etc., these seats came from.

I helped the UPS driver lift them off the truck. He was intrigued when I told him what was in the case. Of course, he wanted to see them. He thought it was neat but didn’t gush.

Perhaps he’s a bruised Diamondbacks fan.

Now, where to put these things…

81 Comment(s)

1. Nate | Oct 19, 2007 | Reply

Mine were quite filthy as well, but surprisingly in good working order (a little creaky, but they work okay). There is a bit of rust on the metal parts and I am debating sanding and re-painting or just leaving it as is. My wife thinks that it would destroy the antique value to try and restore it.

I was thinking the same thing about the orange seats! I thought it would be cool to get them, but I only sat there about two times my whole life!

I was lucky enough to get seats 1 & 2 which means I have an end showing the row number. Unluckily, perhaps, the metal plate that would normally display the row number is missing. It must have been that way at the stadium since I can make out a faded 15 written in black sharpie amidst the glue that once held the metal plate.

You can see pictures of my seats at the Daily Fungo Clubhouse, or do a search for “Tiger_Stadium_Seats” at Flickr (I was notified that I am the only person to put that tag on any pictures).

2. Dave from Houston | Oct 19, 2007 | Reply

My seats arrrived too – filthy but in excellent working order. Blue seats #24 and 25. They appear to be row end seats, but do not have a row plate on the end. Perhaps they abutted against a pole, instead of a row end, and thus did not need a plate. If that’s the case, they might be close to my opening day, 1984 seat, which was dead smack behind a pole in the left field bleachers!

I debated the re-painting issue too, but being lazy, I decided I like the “antique value” too. I scraped off the loose rust/paint and deemed the seats good to go.

Now, I just have to figure where in the world to put the things. I think I’ll leave them in a corner, and bring them out only to watch Tiger games. Being superstitious, if Detroit starts off hot, I may watch the whole season in the chairs!

3. Randy | Oct 25, 2007 | Reply

Ditto above; filthy! I wouldn’t let my wife see them until I washed them down with a wet paper towel first (I’m still justifying the purchase to her!).

I’m going to find the right rustoleum to paint the metal – the rust won’t stop and (looking at other seat sites) the ones that are clean are going for more money. They’d have been painted by now – the rust is only there because of the 8 years of sitting outside. I won’t paint the plastic part, of course.

My idea is to put them on a small platform next to my pool table to use while playing pool with friends. I’m looking forward to the Certificate of Authenticity that is “in the mail” — that’ll go up on the wall behind them – either that or I’ll find a wall mural of the stadium interior. (Anybody know where I can get one of those??)

4. David | Nov 2, 2007 | Reply

Filthy and I loved it. That is 100 percent Tiger dust. After a cleanup my seats are in my home office. My wife is none to happy to see them appear! I only wish I have purchased another set.

5. ANDY From Betkley Mi. | Nov 5, 2007 | Reply

I Love my seats. I clean up my seats and they look great. I use a little WD40 too take out the creak. My 10 year old Son Loves sitting in then.
    I also wish I would have purchased another set too.

6. Mark | Nov 5, 2007 | Reply

Hi all – I live in Portland, Oregon and simply missed the auction, but would die for a set of the seats. I am a life-long Tigers fan (become a fan living in Nashville, TN when the Tigers had their AA team there) and want a piece of Tiger stadium. My long distance pilgrimmages to Tiger Stadium hold a special place to me.

What is the best chance to get some seats??? I called the auction company this AM and they suggested calling the city of Detroit. Do you guys have any other ideas?

Thanks so much for any help!

7. Stezz | Nov 7, 2007 | Reply

Our seats arrived last week. Cleaned up with a little TLC and some KrudCutter – great cleaner – way strong – test first…..We have our seats in the libary for now with a couple of those tiger tails from the 60′s and our tickets from the very last game. We have seats #6 and 7 which is perfect since my Dad grew up hanging at the stadium and his birthday is October 7th……….Definately plan on putting them in the family room next April so we can watch the game from them. And yes- wish we would have purchased another set……..ROck and Roll TIGERS!

8. ClydeO | Nov 17, 2007 | Reply

try this site for tiger stadium seats.

9. ClydeO | Nov 17, 2007 | Reply

I rec’d mine 2 weeks ago, and about a week later the certificate arrived via mail.
    Like all here, they were dirty and req’d a good car wash style cleaning. I think I’m going to paint the cast iron frame. If anyone can get a computer color match on the blue, please let me know. Likewise here. What is the popular way to mount or display these? Any ideas would be welcomed. I’m going to make this my winter project.

10. Steve from Roch Hills, MI | Nov 17, 2007 | Reply

My seats arrived yesterday and I was lucky enough to get end seats #1 and #2 with an ‘M’ on the side of seat one to indicate the row. If only I knew what section.

I was prepared for the worst as my brother received his in Chicago a couple weeks ago and said they were pretty bad. He was right. I cleaned the plastic seats and applied Armor All and the blue plastic looks quite nice. (I didn’t let my wife see them either until the plastic was cleaned!) The rusty, dirty metal is another story. My seats will remain in my garage until I restore the metal parts. I guess it’s personal preference but I would like the seats to resemble what they looked like prior to the stadium being closed. I don’t restoring them will diminish their value.

My kids think they are way cool, too. They will eventually sit in my room down the basement where my big screen TV and baseball memorabilia is. I can’t wait to sit in them and watch the Tigers and eat a hot dog and drink a beer.

11. JoAnn | Nov 18, 2007 | Reply

My seats arrived yesterday and I was a little disappointed at first with the condition, but they have been neglected in the elements for several years, so once I clean up the plastic and find something to clean the rusty frames, I think they’ll be fine. And now that I think about it, my disappointment was more that I was in a bad mood from a bad day at work yesterday. Can’t wait to sit in them with my granddaughter and watch Tigers baseball!

12. joann | Nov 19, 2007 | Reply

My seats arrived and are pretty dirty, but I’m thrilled to have them (my anniversary present). I’d love to know what people will use to restore or repaint the rusted metal parts. A good cleaning will get the dirt off, but I want to clean up the metal arms, too.

13. sas | Nov 19, 2007 | Reply

Got my seats today. As the others have said they are filthy. I have seats 9 and 10. Does anyone have any suggestions on matching the paint? They are quite rusty and will continue to rust unless painted. Once I clean them up, I plan on putting them in my office.

14. Steve from Roch Hills, MI | Nov 19, 2007 | Reply

I did some research on the restoration of my seats. There is a place in Hazel Park called Ace Stripping that has a machine that will strip all the dirt and rust off with some kind of micro sand blasting process for $150. (The woman who answered the phone said she bought a pair of seats and she is having hers done there…also, they’ve had a couple other people come to them for this). You will need to remove the plastic seats first. Also, removing the plastic seats from the metal frame will make painting much easier.

15. sas | Nov 20, 2007 | Reply

Do they paint them as well? If not, where can you get matching paint?

16. ClydeO | Nov 22, 2007 | Reply

150 is a bit to steep for me. I’m planning on removing the seat and seat back and using a wire brush attachted to a power drill to remove rust and questionable paint. Then with a spray can of metal primer, coat the frame. Finally, if I can match the paint sucessfully, use a brush and lovingly apply the final coat of blue by hand. Ohhhh, I can hardly wait.

17. j wood | Nov 23, 2007 | Reply

I love my seats. There are some holes on the arm rests. Does anyone know what went in there? They are Tiger Den seats I am guessing there may have been a seat number on there but I dont remenber as I only sat in those one time

18. Bobby | Nov 24, 2007 | Reply

The company that owned the seats the hole is were name plates went.

19. Bobby | Nov 24, 2007 | Reply

Does anyone have Tiger Den seats for sale?

20. Steve from Mad Heights | Nov 24, 2007 | Reply

I received my seats a few weeks back but had to wait until I got home for thanksgiving to see them, seats were dirty (bonus piece of gum under one)but in really good condition, Row 17 Seats 1 and 2. I mounted them on pressure treated wood, kind of like skis, so they wouldn’t tip and will be used for tailgating at both Lions and Tiger games in the future. And yes, once they were mounted I did sit in them and enjoyed a cold beer like some many times at the corner.

21. Dave Collins | Nov 29, 2007 | Reply

When you go to the game next year you get to see Magglio Ordoñez playing in the United State and making millions of dollars. It is ironic that yesterday (Nov. 28) he appeared on stage in Caracas with Hugo Chavez, who is a self proclaimed enemy of the United States. Chavez is pushing changes to that country’s constitution that will give him dictatorial powers.

It seems that Ordoñez owns construction companies in his home country, and has recently received several large contracts for structures from Chavez.

Maybe he should stay in Venezuela and play in their league.

22. ClydeO | Dec 6, 2007 | Reply

I matched the paint at HomeDepot using their optical paint match puter and I think its a dead on duplicate of the original paint.
    Two coats on now. Looking damn nice.

23. Ron Shedd | Dec 8, 2007 | Reply

Does your HD paint match can have numbers on it, something I can take in? Just trying to save the paint match deal (lazy). Thanks.

24. ClydeO | Dec 8, 2007 | Reply

yep. but they make you buy a full gallon. I’ve only used 1/3 of it. It cost me 23. Give me 10 bucks and the rest is yours. What city do you live in? Warren here.

25. Ron Shedd | Dec 9, 2007 | Reply

I live in Alpena, MI. I would gladly pay you the $10 for the paint. email me direct at

sheddron@msu.edu

Thanks!

26. ClydeO | Dec 9, 2007 | Reply

I just saw a tv news sports segment on channel 4, filmed this week with Ernie Harwell. In the back ground of the interview taken inside Tiger Stadium, I could see that most of the seats in lower left field, and left center had been removed. Its highly lightly, that most if not all of our seats came from that area.

27. Frank | Dec 11, 2007 | Reply

I received mine about a month ago…dirty and all that stuff. I found a guy in Beverly Hills, MI who sanded the rust off and bondoed some damaged areas and painted them. He also put some sort of coating on the plastic to take out the dullness.

I think they came out great. My problem now is how to mount them so they don’t tip over when I sit in them, Any ideas?

28. Scott | Dec 11, 2007 | Reply

Looking for a pair of Tiger Den seats.

Willing to spend $1000 for the pair.

Live in Sterling Heights and would pick them up

Scott
    youngsco@msu.edu

29. Kenneth McCauley | Dec 19, 2007 | Reply

I received my seats about a month ago as well. When I opened up the box I was quite surprised at how dirty they were. Most of the filth just came from being left out in the open for the last few years. I had a friend refurbish them, he took them apart sand blasted certain parts and buffed, repainted, and even re-did the seat numbers (21 and 22). Bottom line is they look great! I really should’ve taken before and after pics.

30. Paul R | Jan 6, 2008 | Reply

i found a website called “springcreekdeign.net” that shows a neat mounting option for the seats

31. Paul R | Jan 6, 2008 | Reply

Has anyone removed the spring-loaded seat mounts remaining from the seats that were cut away? I don’t want to start messing with these until i know that someone has done it successfully.

Also, does anyone have a paint color number?

Lastly, my previous post on Jan 6 should have read “design” and not “deign” in the website address.

32. Jeff | Jan 6, 2008 | Reply

I received a set of the blue seats with a half inch of dust and a glazing of rust. One seat still had a wad of bubble gum on the back.

Very disappointed the metal plates on the top right of the seats were missing. It was attached with (4) rivets. Looks like 2-3 rivets were removed an then the plate ripped off. Is this suppose to be the seat number plate. I’m calling the auction house and raising some asking for retribution, especially if these were the seat number plates.

33. ClydeO | Jan 9, 2008 | Reply

I’m 99% finished with my refurbishment. I have both the paint number from a match I did and info on the spring arm removal. It would be to much to type here. Email me with a phone number and I’ll call you. Don’t worry, your number will stay private with me.
    ClydeO@Lycos.com
    Put in the subject line, TIGER SEATS. If you don’t, I might think it’s spam and delete it.

34. j20bell | Jan 15, 2008 | Reply

Does anyone know where to find some of the tiger stadium seats? I was not aware of the auction in Oct. I live in saginaw. Does the city of detroit still have some available?

thanks!

35. ClydeO | Jan 28, 2008 | Reply

Paint used on my seat frames. Not the plastic seats portion.

Behr Premium Plus Deep Base #3300

*** Interior Semi Gloss Enamel 2 coats min.
    *** Gallon Can
    Paint spec formula below:

OZ 48 96

E Thalo Blue 7 14 1
    KX White 1 35 0
    L Raw Umber 2 3 0
    V Magenta 0 44 0

Home Depot

36. Teri | Feb 27, 2008 | Reply

Thanks for the color match ClydeO. I haven’t started refurbishing yet but would you mind if I e-mailed you for some info on how? I’m a total novice and don’t have a clue.
    Also, I purchased 2 sets and I’m thinking of selling the 2nd set, anyone interested?

37. ClydeO | Feb 28, 2008 | Reply

Sure you can email re your project anytime.
    Also, you may try ebay for a sale of the other set.
    ClydeO Warren, MI

38. ClydeO | Feb 28, 2008 | Reply

ClydeO@Lycos.com TIGER SEATS in subject line.

39. Brian | Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

Hey Teri,
    Do you still have a set of seats for sale?

40. Brian | Mar 12, 2008 | Reply

If you have an extra pair of seats for sale, please get ahold of me at GTYRT@hotmail.com

41. Mark | Mar 29, 2008 | Reply

Ken -

Can you put me on contact with the guy who fixed up your seats?

Thanks.

42. Jason Schrader | May 14, 2008 | Reply

Hi all,

Looking for a pair of Tigers seats for a father’s day present, does anybody know where I can get some?

Thanks!

43. Teri | May 19, 2008 | Reply

Hi Jason,

I have a pair. E-mail me if you’re interested. trod1@comcast.net

44. Scott | May 21, 2008 | Reply

I have a set of Tiger seats I’d be willing to part with for the right price. Good working order. I have cleaned them up, although I have not done any refurb on them. I live in GR but am in the Detroit area now and again…could deliver or meet up.

45. Scott | May 21, 2008 | Reply

See previous comment. scottwhisler@hotmail.com if you’re interested.

46. Dave | Jun 12, 2008 | Reply

Living outside MI, I am unable to follow anything about the old stadium. I know (I think) that the Conservancy missed the deadline. Equipment for the wrecking crew was brought into the park. And…? Freep and Detnews coverage is terrible. Anywhere to look for photos, better coverage?

47. Diana | Jun 12, 2008 | Reply

I have a set of Tiger seats and would like to put some type of plate on the back of the seats. On this plate I have an idea that I would like it to have the words Tiger Stadium, and Michigan and Trumbull. Does anyone have any idea where I could find this?

48. Dave | Jun 13, 2008 | Reply

Keep checking ebay under Detroit Tiger Stadium Seats. Periodically (but not today), someone advertises exactly what you’re looking for. Cost:About $10.

49. Dave Wysz | Jul 13, 2008 | Reply

I have one pair of 2 blue plastic seats that are 19″ wide in good working condition for sale in Clarkston, MI $325.00 Dave

WANTED
    Does anyone know anyone that is selling parts for the original seats? I would like to purchase and isle end bracket.

50. Dave | Jul 13, 2008 | Reply

Orange seats

Does anyone know the original color formula, mfg,type etc… or something close to the paint used on the orange seat brackets?

51. Dan | Jul 15, 2008 | Reply

Does anyone know where you can get other stadium memorabilia? I have the seats and am currently finishing my basement with a very special place for them. I was hoping to get a section sign and possibly a restroom sign. Any ideas would be very helpful. You can email me directly at mrcr9@hotmail.com

Thanks!

52. maxwell | Jul 22, 2008 | Reply

dave -

interested in your seats – can you send me your info?

maxwellgosling@mac.com

53. Tim | Jul 23, 2008 | Reply

I decided to paint mine. I think they look pretty cool. What do you think?

I didn’t really care about the “antique value” since I plan on keeping them forever.

54. Teri | Jul 23, 2008 | Reply

Your seats look great Tim. Nice job. I haven’t started the refurb on mine yet, do you have any tips?

55. Tim | Jul 24, 2008 | Reply

I just bought some spray paint at lowes. Make sure that you get the kind that binds with plastic. I picked up some vynal lettering for the D. I know that the seats never looked like that originally but I think they look pretty cool.

56. Dave | Jul 24, 2008 | Reply

I have an extra pair of Tiger Den seats for sale if anyone is interested. $850 obo

dkuhn12@sprintpcs.com

57. Karl | Jul 28, 2008 | Reply

Hi, Looking to purchase a pair of seats. I grew up with the tigers and my foundest memories are of tiger stadium. Just found out they were tearing the stadium down. Tried to get some seats but there sold out. Anyways I live in LA if anyone has a pair of seats for sale please email me @ karlkonefal@hotmail.com
    Thanks
    Karl

58. Bill | Jul 31, 2008 | Reply

How come when you look at the pictures of Tiger Stadium during the demolition it looks like there are plenty of seats still left in the upper deck that are just getting trashed? Are these available?

59. Mike | Aug 7, 2008 | Reply

I am just starting to restore my seats. There is a light green paint on the plastic. It looks like an overspray from some other paint job at the stadium. Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove this paint from the seats?
    Thanks, Mike – Port Huron

60. Red | Aug 7, 2008 | Reply

I really, really want a pair of these seats (or just 1) from Tiger Stadium. I can find ones on Ebay from Navin Field, but I am too young to *care* (have emotional ties) to Navin Field, but I grew up on Michigan and Trumbull. So if you have seats for sale or know where to get one, please email me at frymanfan24@yahoo.com
    Thanks!

61. Bride-To-Be | Aug 23, 2008 | Reply

My fiance grew up going to Tiger Stadium with his grandpa. He is dying to get ahold of some seats. We missed the auction some how. If anyone is willing to part with a pair of orange seats let me know!!! It will make a great wedding day gift!!!
    kellyrcampbell@hotmail.com

P.S. We went by Tiger Stadium last week. It’s sad to see. The entire outfield wall is down now. :(

62. Gary O | Sep 2, 2008 | Reply

Did anyone find out the manufacturer of the seats? I too would like to get replacement parts if available…springs, rubber washers etc.

63. Tiger Tom | Sep 16, 2008 | Reply

You can use a product named Goof Off to get the green paint off the seats. The stuff is potent and stinks so don’t use it inside.

The seats were manufactured by American Seating. Replacements for the nuts and bolts can be had at any good hardware store.

64. Tiger Stadium Seats wanted | Sep 21, 2008 | Reply

Hi, I am looking to buy 2 seats from Tiger Stadium. If you have 2 for sale, let me know. Just e-mail me at admin at mbacasestudysolutions dot com I am currently in the Detroit area and can pick them up.

65. Seating Guy | Sep 24, 2008 | Reply

The seating manufacturer is American Seating Company. They are in Grand Rapids, MI. They still have parts for these seats for special order. You can get number plates from Detroit Name Plate Company.

66. Need Tiger Seats! | Oct 13, 2008 | Reply

I am currently looking for a pair of tiger stadium seats. Either the blue, orange, or tiger den. E-mail me if you have any for sale! Thanks!!!
    j_byrn@yahoo.com

67. tom renfield | Oct 14, 2008 | Reply

how many do you want, all i have is orange, thanks

68. Kerry Edie | Nov 11, 2008 | Reply

I have 2 sets of 3 attached seats I may want to sell if the price is right. They are green painted wood with cast iron frames(very heavy) from prior to plastic seats being installed. Very good condition! Stenciled seat #’s still very prominent.(14-15-16,18-19-20).Almost no rust on cast iron. Frames would have to be made to make them upright.
    Contact: blujag1@wowway.com

69. Walker | Mar 10, 2009 | Reply

I have six end cast irons with tiger moulded in.Looking for green wood seats.

70. Bryan | Apr 28, 2009 | Reply

If anyone knows any info about getting a replacement number plate, please let me know.

I’ve decided to paint my seats. Too much of the green paint from Billy Crystal’s *61 is on the sides. Looks unbalanced. Wish I could go into his holy grail Yankee stadium and screw with the things he loved like that.

upsuser22@gaza.net

71. Tim | May 25, 2009 | Reply

Before you decide to re-paint, definitely consider using Goof-Off on an old t-shirt rag to remove the *61 paint. I finally got around to doing a partial restore of my seats (beyond the good scrub down I gave them when they arrived 2 years ago) and am amazed at how good of a job the Goof-Off did in removing the movie paint. I was concerned it would eat up the plastic, but it didn’t at all. On the metal parts, I had to be a bit more careful not to rub too hard and remove the blue paint, but it was really easy. Replaced the hardware with stainless all around and these babies are looking almost better than they did new back in ’77!

72. Ray | May 27, 2009 | Reply

I have a blue pair for sale. They have been extensively restored to perfect working order and look very nice. I can provide photos. send me an email if interested. ibrewrj@yahoo.com

73. Mike | Jun 16, 2009 | Reply

I have Orange seats and Tiger Den Seats avaialble. mike@authenticstadiumseats.com

Mike

74. Craig | Oct 1, 2009 | Reply

I have two old WOODEN Tigers seat from the 1896 stadium, good shape, write me if your interested.
    Craig49505@yahoo.com

75. Howard | Dec 8, 2010 | Reply

I can consider a trade for the person needing the wooden seats. I would like two end iron swinging Tigers.

chelco@aol.com

76. Dan | Dec 14, 2010 | Reply

I just got a set of Tiger Den seats. Who did your sanding and painting?

77. Dave | Dec 21, 2010 | Reply

Iam looking for some old wooden seats from the old tiger standium . If someone out in the Tiger Kingdom has any seats they would like to sell please get back to me at Davidec2001@aol.com . Thanks Dave

78. Carol | Jun 2, 2012 | Reply

We have a set of 3 blue plastic seats in great condition. I’m looking for information: in what years were these used? Likely section of the stadium? The legs bolt directly into the floor and do not have the 90 degree metal brace on them.

79. Bbrian Tekampe | Jun 18, 2012 | Reply

I own a pair of seats from Soldier Field in Chicago and am looking to clean them up. I need to remove the seats and seat backs from the frame to clean off the rust. Some of the bolts are not coming off and I need to find a square bit of some sort to hold the bolt in place while I remove the nut. I went to Home Depot and they didn’t have anything large enough. Any ideas on where I could find the correct size for the bolts?

80. Matt | Sep 20, 2012 | Reply

I landed some orange and blue seats a couple of years ago, but never got my hands on any brackets. Does anyone know where I can find some, or does anyone have extras available?

81. Matt | Sep 20, 2012 | Reply

…by the way, allow me to clarify. All I have are the seat bottoms and backs, and the rivets. I am missing all parts needed for mounting the seats, including the end pieces, and the previously mentioned brackets.